Author Topic: Windows 10 Pro networking  (Read 7140 times)

fred

• Dealers
Windows 10 Pro networking
« on: November 13, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
Good day Support,
I have a problem with a fairly new client.
This client is using 2 x HP Touchsmart 7320 Core i5 machines running Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.
He first started with one Till Point and as the shop goes a bit crazy at times he decided to add a second Till a month later.
To cut a long story short I can FULLY browse either machines C: drive from each other, just as required by 4POS.  In actual fact I have done this many times over the years  and configured  a number of licenses for a client using a similar configuration in the last 7 days.
However in this clients case the Domain Controller  responds with 'Active but not Found' for Till2
Backoffice runs fine from the 2nd till and one can update prices etc.
I have gone as far as, apart from sharing the C: drive, even shared the 4POS and 4POSServer folder with no change in result.
I am presenting this problem in case it is something someone else has experienced something similar.

Admin

• Administrator
    • 4POS Point of Sale Solutions
Re: Windows 10 Pro networking
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 09:43:39 PM »
Yes, this is not a common problem but it does happen.

This is also the reason we charge R950 PER terminal for networking as there are many parts of a network.

Most likely cause :
1. Firewall
2. best way to test : Go into explorer on main pc & in the address bar : \\pcname\c\4pos
- most likely you will find it prompts for a password
- fix - remove user passwords on all pc's AND...
- Advanced network settings - all networks - Turn off password protected sharing... (see attached)

*** Please note ***

Everytime Win10 does an upgrade - this setting changes!

Lots of articles written on the subject & suggest that you find your own way to turn off automatic Windows updates. Some ideas is a metered network if you run wifi but on cable it doesn't work...

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:49:12 PM »
While we are on the subject ...

These are the steps we do for a specific customer monthly.... It has become such a problem on his network that we have now shared this list with his manager...

On his network the "Turn off password protected sharing" does not work - no idea why... You change it & when you go back in - it is ON again...

Please use with care! We do not underwrite any of these steps for YOUR network - just suggestions...

When the server or any POS cannot connect :

1. Right Click on Start on the server and / or the pc that cannot connect :
2. Click on Run
3. lusrmgr.msc & (Enter)
4. Double Click on users
5. Right Click on Guest & select Change Password
6. Click on Proceed
7. On the password screen - DO NOT ENTER ANY PASSWORD & simply click OK

Do the same on any POS with network issues...

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set-your-networks-location-private-or-public-windows-10

Also assists with metered networks so you don't receive upgrades anymore...

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:55:44 PM »
And another suggestion on Networking...

You may also find that your 2nd, 3rd & other pos pc's do not connect to the 4POS server pc

Might have to do with your sql settings not allowing multiple connections...

Suggest you download the NEW CD4POS & reinstall on the server - obviously you need to double check your backups!

The 4POS installer will automatically install SQL with all the correct network settings...